-by Jennifer Enchin | 03/05/2018 |
They say that cookies are the staff of life, or is it bread…either way, I’ve been “running” on cookies lately. Ever since I discovered this healthy, low sugar, vegan, grain-free recipe, it’s been my go-to snack as I run out the door—and sometimes even right before I jump into bed! The ingredients are simple and easy to find (no complicated gluten-free four blends here) and it comes together super quickly and easily.
I first made these grain-free cookies when I started eating paleo about 3 years ago—in recent months, though, I’ve cut out eggs, so that leaves me with not very much to work with baking-wise. I took one of my paleo pancake recipes that uses starch in place of eggs and tried to turn it into a cookie batter and boy oh boy, did it ever work.
I’ve been making tons of different versions of this simple, grain-free cookie, including gingerbread and amaretti (aside from the classic chocolate chip, ‘cause nothing beats a good chocolate chip cookie).
These are technically sugar-free, using only natural sweeteners like date syrup, coconut syrup, maple syrup, or honey to get that sugary-kick while staying low on the glycemic index. In this recipe, I used half date syrup and half coconut syrup, but you can use any combination of the syrups mentioned. Coconut syrup has a tangy flavor and will warrant softer, chewier cookies; maple syrup will give you crunchy, shortbread-like cookies; date syrup will give them a fruit-kick; and honey will make them dense and chewy, so experiment and see what type of cookie you prefer! I like a chewy cookie so I went with coconut/date syrup.
This recipe will give you about 14 medium-sized cookies, which is pretty good if I do say so myself! Just remember that almond flour is pretty high in calories (though nutrient dense) so one or two is all you need for a substantial snack (although I’ve gone WAY over my limit once or twice).
These cookies can be stored in the freezer for long periods, or in a sealed container for up to 7 days. They’re perfect for your kid’s lunch, or a quick snack when you don’t want to shell out $3.50 for a protein bar. I keep these morsels in my desk and grab one when I need something sweet.
Grain-Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies (Vegan & Paleo)
- 2 1/4 cups of almond flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup date syrup + 1/4 cup coconut syrup (can sub in any low-glycemic syrup)
- sprinkle of stevia (if desired)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
1. Combine the almond flour, potato starch, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Heat the coconut oil over low heat in a small saucepan until melted. Add in the syrup and vanilla, and stir until combined.
3. Form a “well” in the middle of the almond flour mixture and pour in the oil and syrup mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon or with your hands until fully combined. Add in chocolate chips.
4. Roll into medium-sized balls (size of a golf ball), and flatten slightly onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 16 minutes at 300F, until deep-golden brown on the bottom. Let cool, eat!
Articles published by Basmati.com are no substitute for medical advice. Please consult your health care provider before beginning any new regimen. For more information, please visit our disclaimer page here.