Standing Split / Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana
- Stretches the hamstrings, and calves.
- Can strengthen thighs, knees, and ankles.
- Helps calm the brain.
Foundation & General Alignment:
- Start standing in forward fold, one leg lifted. Hands can be used as second base for balance.
- Keep foot of lifted leg facing the ground.
- Hips are squared, lifted one is not “popping” out.
- Back is as straight as possible.
- If arms are not being used for balance they can be on shin of standing leg.
- Shoulders are back and away from ears.
- Head can be looking at standing leg or at the ground.
- Hips aren’t aligned, one is lifted higher than the other.
- Muscles are not engaged, body is just loose.
- Foot is not facing the ground.
- Can be done on wall for extra support.
- Can use props under hands such as blocks.
Articles published by Basmati.com are no substitute for medical advice. Please consult your health care provider before beginning any new regimen. For more information, please visit our disclaimer page here.