Welcome to our #WellnessWednesday yoga primer. Yoga is a wonderful way to become attuned to your body and increase circulation and flexibility. Each week I'll offer you a pose with benefits and instruction.
Week 10: Prasarita Padottanasana / Wide leg stretch
- Stretches the hamstrings, inner thighs and back muscles.
- Tones the abdominal muscles.
- Helps lower blood pressure and heart rate.
Foundation & General Alignment:
- Feet are parallel, legs separated to your level of comfort.
- If you have tight hips turn toes in a little for a more comfortable stretch.
- Fingertips rest on the floor shoulders distance apart.
- Crown of head can rest on floor if comfortable.
- Legs are active.
- Spine extends over the legs.
- Ribs should not be resting on your thighs.
- Shoulder blades draw down the back, the chest remains open.
- Most at risk: outer ankles, hamstrings, lower back.
- Rolling out on feet.
- Knees hyperextend.
- Overly rounded back.
- If you have low back issues you can use a block under your hand or bend your knees.
Do not engage in if you experience any of the following: disc disease and/or herniation, reflux; hiatal hernia, glaucoma, detached retena.