-by Madison Bailey Peth | 05/15/2019 |
Lotus Mudra – Padme Mudra
Mudras are the hand gestures of Yoga. They can be practiced during meditation, asana, or pranayama to help focus the mind and open the energy centers. The lotus mudra gently encourages opening in the heart chakra.
Lotus flowers grow in murky ponds. Deeply rooted in muddy soil, they grow their way up through the dark waters until they reach the surface, finally blooming in the sunlight. The journey of the lotus flower is a classical metaphor for the Yoga practitioners’ journey. This hand gesture helps awaken our soft heart of compassion. Just as the promise of sunlight draws the lotus flower upwards, compassion gently spurs the yogi ever inward on the spiritual path.
What to do:
- Sit in a comfortable seat with your hands together over your heart.
- Keep the thumbs and pinky fingers together.
- Gently spread the fingers and open the hands.
- Envision a lotus flower blooming in your palms as you sit with your breath.
- Calms the mind.
- Opens the heart.
- Builds compassion.
- Decreases stress and tension.
Articles published by Basmati.com are no substitute for medical advice. Please consult your health care provider before beginning any new regimen. For more information, please visit our disclaimer page here.