For most people, salad is pretty boring. Just a big bowl of greens that, while good for you, doesn’t provide the enriching taste you’re looking for. Sure, we try to jazz it up with a little dressing here and there, but store-bought salad dressings are often loaded with fat and extra ingredients that can wreak havoc on your immune system. Here are five healthy alternatives to typical store-bought dressings that can make your salad a little more scrumptious.
5) OLIVE OIL – Olive oil holds omega 3s and can lower bad cholesterol. It is filled with monounsaturated fats, which act as natural “fat fighters” for our bodies, and extra virgin oil contains some of the highest levels of antioxidants, helping to reduce signs of aging.
4) APPLE CIDER VINEGAR – This special tonic helps you lose weight naturally by making you feel full. Apple cider vinegar also fights diabetes by lowering blood-sugar levels and reducing the risks associated with heart disease and certain types of cancers.
3) COTTAGE CHEESE – This tasty treat contains a wide array of healthy fats, allowing subjects who consume it to lose weight and lower their cholesterol. It also contains protein and B-vitamins, and it can even slim one’s chances of contracting breast cancer.
2) DIJON MUSTARD – Although not as healthful as our other options, Dijon mustard lacks the excessive food dyes and colorings found in store-bought dressings (these ingredients are often linked to certain cancers). Dijon also clears the sinuses, allowing you to breathe easy as you take those indulging bites.
1) YOGURT – Yogurt is filled with vitamins, including potassium, riboflavin, zinc, and iodine. Yogurt also keeps your digestive system running properly, and offers a healthy dose of protein to boot.