While we all have important obligations, sometimes ‘adulting’ can be just plain exhausting. Aches, pains, and anxiety can surface if you stifle messages of exhaustion from your body. Sometimes, the best way to recharge is to have some good old-fashioned fun! Get inspired, relax, and release the tension! Going out with friends for a nice dinner, catching a movie, hiking, or taking a trip somewhere brings a sense of leisure, but I’m talking about a slightly different type of fun – the kind that requires imagination and the unleashing of an internal creative force. Do you remember those days of running around and kicking a ball? Or finding an old blanket and pretending it was a superhero’s cape? How about playing those old school hand clap games...Miss Mary Mack anyone? I’ll never forget the days of squishing green Play-Doh between my fingers and having random dance parties just because I could. In those moments, I felt a sense of release and inspiration.
Here are 10 reasons why finding time to play as an adult is important:
- You strengthen your creativity muscles: Just like exercising builds physical muscles, taking time to play puts us in alignment with that deep imaginative force inside each of us. After awhile, it doesn’t take too much to access it. In that way, we are exercising our “creativity” muscle.
- You don’t take life so seriously: We become rigid when the only thing on our minds is a to-do list. Laugh it off, relax, and approach your list with a new sense of inspiration and zeal.
- You calm down: Physically releasing tension is good for you! Don’t stuff your feelings down – get them out by running, jumping, etc. and release the negative energy from your body!
- You’re fully present, engaging your entire self in the activity: We’ve talked a lot about mindfulness and presence here at Basmati, and for a reason! Being in the moment means you’re focusing on the here and now, and ignoring the pesky worries about the future or regrets of the past.
- You may discover an aspect of yourself that’s been hiding: How long has it been since you genuinely let loose? Try it! It’s good for you, and it’s fun!
- You cultivate a sense of joy and ease: Relaxing and playing games with others allows you to share positive emotions and realize that there are more important things in life than the next thing on your to-do list.
- You keep your spirit young and spry: This goes hand-in-hand with number one – remind yourself what it’s like to be silly, and you’ll find yourself looking at the world with new eyes.
- Play can bring a sense of freedom: It feels good to let loose and shake off obligations. Play is just as important as work for living a balanced life.
- You can shift your view to a more enriching perspective: Concentrating on something fun and relaxing can get you out of the rut of anxious rumination or negative feedback loops. Relaxing and laughing releases endorphins, which also help you manage stress more effectively.
- You feel a little better than you did before: For all these reasons, you’ll feel renewed and less rigid, which is the perfect way to tackle life!