Welcome to our #WellnessWednesday yoga primer. Yoga is a wonderful way to become attuned to your body and increase circulation and flexibility. Each week I'll offer you a pose with benefits and instruction.
Week 14: Uttanasana / Standing Forward Bend
- Great stretch for the hamstrings, calves, hip rotators, and back.
Foundation & General Alignment:
- Feet are parallel they can either be together or hip distance apart.
- Legs can be straight or bent if tight in hamstrings, bend knees for easier stretch.
- Hands can be on the ground by your feet, on calves, or fingers can be hooked between big toes.
- Belly isn’t resting on thighs.
- Shoulders are back and away from your ears.
- Most at risk: hamstrings and low back.
- Weight mostly in heels.
- Hyperextension of the knees.
- Shoulders up by ears.
- Bend knees so you can reach the floor.
- Use blocks underneath the hands.
- Separate feet further apart for tighter students or for later stages of pregnancy.
Do not engage in if you have low back pain/ disc injury or you have a pulled hamstring muscle.