We have all had to deal with sore, stiff, and achy muscles – they’re a fact of life. It is nice to know there are foods you can add to or increase in your diet to help ease your pain. Any foods that provide a substantial amount of magnesium are great for the muscles. Magnesium maintains proper nerve and normal muscle function.
Here is my list of 7 Natural Muscle Healers and Relaxers:
- Almonds – These nuts contain high levels of magnesium. They are also rich in protein, calcium, vitamin E, and phosphorus. Just eat a handful of nuts or drink a glass of almond milk to help your muscles heal.
- Chamomile – This ancient medicine is useful for many things -- one of them being treating muscle spasms. It has 36 flavonoids that contain anti-inflammatory properties. You can massage chamomile essential oil (though mind the dosage) into the sore muscle for relief and you can also drink the tea for similar benefits.
- Cayenne Peppers – The capsaicin that comes from the cayenne peppers is a muscle relaxer. It has been recommended for those who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. You can use a cream, take a capsule or just add more cayenne peppers into your diet.
- Ginger – Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties and also acts as a pain reliever. It can be used for stomachaches, chest, and back pain, too.
- Turmeric – The curcumin is the active ingredient found in turmeric and is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory agents around. It can be used to soothe inflammation and pain.
- Berries – It is the antioxidants that berries provide that help relax your muscles. Antioxidants help repair the damage and stress caused by oxidation from muscle activity. Out of all of the berries, cranberries, blackberries, and blueberries are said to contain the highest levels of antioxidants. However, all berries contain antioxidants, which can help your sore muscles.
- Fruits – Apples, peaches, mangoes, melons, cherries, red grapes, and plums can all be used as natural muscle relaxers. All of these fruits contain antioxidant or anti-inflammatory properties to help your muscles.
There are many natural muscle relaxers that can be used instead of pills. I personally find it more pleasant to get my healing from the food and plants provided on Earth. Next time you are dealing with sore muscles, try some of these foods and see how they can help you. Even children suffer from sore muscles from time to time, and these alternatives are safe for your little ones, too. Let Mother Nature be your medicine cabinet and help you heal.