Unless you’re a Disney character, being positive all of the time can prove difficult. We live in a time where we are constantly running around, on limited time, limited sleep, and limited self-care. We are bombarded with negative news, negative television, negative people and negative vibes. We are facing too many global crises to comprehend. Through all of this, however, people are remaining positive. How so?
It turns out, happiness is a choice, no matter how easily we seem to derive it from outside sources. There are millionaires out there that aren’t happy, no matter how many pairs of Louboutins they own, or how many cars they drive. On the flip side, there are people facing terminal illness, homelessness, divorce and other life crises that are oddly happy and at peace. This poses the question: how can one be positive when life begs us to act otherwise?
- Realize life ebbs and flows: A lot of people learn not to dwell too much on the bad moments because they know that life is never a straight and unmoving line. Bad things happen, as well as good things. People hit rock bottom before they ascend to a happier plane. You can’t dwell too much on anything; you have go with the flow and that includes wherever that flow leads you to. Just as life itself is impermanent (in this body at least), so are bad moments, so it’s wise not to dwell on them.
- Follow the Law of Attraction: A great way to not dwell on problems is to already visualize your successes. The Secret, also known as the Law of Attraction, advocates manifesting your destiny through your positive thoughts. If you think positively,, you will live positively, and therefore take the necessary steps to achieve that happiness you visualize. You can create a physical inspiration board of what you want in your life, both tangible and not, and live each day like you have already achieved everything on that board. Just organizing your goals will make you feel excited for the future.
- Have and maintain faith in the unknown: You can call this faith, or peace of mind in not knowing what will happen. Whatever you call it, it is knowing that God, or the universe, won’t ever put you in a situation that you can’t get out of. You are meant to be in the exact place you are now, a result of the plan a higher power has for you, or fate, and what you have done through free will. You have the ability, also through that free will, to improve your situation the best you can, and the rest you have to surrender to something bigger than yourself.
- Realize there are lessons to be learned: We seem to learn the most profound lessons through the most negative moments in life. Imagine if nothing bad ever happened to you. It would be nice, but think about all the lessons you wouldn’t have learned. Pressure creates a diamond. Strong people become strong because they go through things that demand that strength. Just like you’re thankful for the school education you completed, be thankful for the obstacles you overcame. You wouldn’t be you without them.
- It’s much better than the alternative: Sometimes you just have to be positive because negativity isn’t much fun. Anger, regret, and sadness are all preoccupations with the past. Worry has to do with not knowing the future. All of these emotions are bad for your mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health. Those negative emotions will actually block all the good stuff that you really want to come your way. Just like positive thinking will manifest positive outcomes according to the Law of Attraction, you will actually be manifesting a negative existence if all you think about is what you don’t have or haven’t done or feel bad about. If you are what you eat, wouldn’t you also be what you think?
It’s perfectly ok to sit in your feelings and recognize your emotions and feel what you need to feel, but avoid dwelling in anything that doesn’t make you feel like the rockstar that you are. Meditate, pray, exercise, listen to great music--anything that you know brings you joy, so that you can be on your way to happiness. It’s not about being fake; it’s the idea that if you act happy, your mind will follow. Everything you do on a regular basis becomes a habit if you do it enough. It’s your choice if you want that habit to be being negative or being the happiest you can be.