Integrate mudras into your practice and life.
Uttarabodhi Mudra: Enlightenment
“Uttara” means “upward” and “bodhi” means “enlightenment” or “awakening.” This mudra allows you to explore a conscious spiritual practice and to renew your own commitment to the practice of yoga. Uttarabodhi Mudra symbolizes the light of the soul: opening one’s self to the divine power within.
How To Do Uttarabodhi Mudra
- Interlock fingers three, four, and five, joining the tips of the index finger and thumbs.
- Pressing the index fingers, with thumbs touching, pull thumbs away from the index fingers. Palms are slightly separated.
- Start with this mudra at the diaphragm and slowly rise straight up through the central channel.
- Instantly feel that connection with the central channel: a line of light, harnessing the energy in your body. The upward ascent of this mudra’s circuitry creates richness and depth.
- Variation: Cross left thumb over right.
Special Uses Of Uttarabodhi Mudra
- Incorporate this mudra in Warrior One or Warrior Two, representing strength, enlightenment, and empowerment to your purpose.
- In Warrior Three reach your mudra forward like you are directing a clear line of energy forward for the benefit of ourselves, all human beings.
- In seated meditation, promote a deeper relationship with the divine by practicing this mudra as commitment on the spiritual path, invoking the highest spiritual remembrance of why we practice.
- In Standing Backbends this mudra generates renewing flow, recharging your being on all levels. Allow that blessing to vibrate within your force field.
- In Anjaneyasana, with arching motion through your back, begin with circling the palms up from the base, gathering life force, with hands reaching upward, over the crown of the head. Project length through this mudra to infinity.
Awareness During Uttarabodhi Mudra
- Bring your awareness to your index finger, straight up and vertical.
- Where is your breath flowing? Where is it blocked?
- This is a gesture to pay attention to how you live. How are you living this life?
Benefits Of Uttarabodhi Mudra
- Has a positive effect on the nervous system
- Benefits the lungs and heart
- Serves as a gateway to inspiration and creative energy
- Renews and recharges
- Enhances mental clarity
Positive Affirmation For Uttarabodhi Mudra
I am a spiritual, divine being in a human body.
In my spiritual quest, bring me to the silence of my spiritual heart
to reclaim dedication to my purpose and spiritual practice.
May I more deeply embody the sacred in the everyday.
May I more powerfully come to the highest remembrance of who I am in this moment.
Teach me to be a kind and loving human being.
With the whole of my being, may my energies be used to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others, and to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings.