Gotu Kola: a small plant with big healing potential.
Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica) has been considered a cure-all for thousands of years. It is considered to be an herb of longevity in Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurvedic medicine with good reason. This slender, tiny herb is packed full of some truly amazing health and healing benefits.
There are three aspects of health that are most commonly discussed when it comes to the power of Gotu Kola: boosts brain power, sharpens memory, and enhances mood. This is because Gotu Kola is used to increase cognitive abilities. Gotu Kola also strengthens the blood circulation, which is one of the main reasons it is so beneficial to the brain.
The Benefits of Gotu Kola
- Detoxifying Kidneys ~ The mild diuretic properties increase the flow of urine in the body. This helps to cleanse the body of toxins and excess salts and fats, which helps keep the kidneys refreshed. When your kidneys are in good shape, you tend to have more energy and feel better because your body is clean.
- Healing Wounds ~ Gotu Kola produces saponins called Triterpenoids. These saponins are a chemical compound that naturally helps the healing process of wounds, allowing for a speedy recovery. These compounds also strengthen the skin and increase the blood supply to the affected area. Gotu Kola also boosts antioxidants -- not only to the whole body but directly to any wounds.
- Easing Anxiety & Nervous Disorders ~ The same exact Triterpenoids that help heal wounds are responsible for producing a calming effect when it comes to anxiety issues and nervousness. Gotu Kola can actually decrease how often and how severe the attacks are. It helps lower stress levels and also stimulates healthy sleep.
- Regulating Blood Pressure ~ The Triterpenoids relieve tension in the arteries and blood vessels, making Gotu Kola a great option for regulating blood pressure. Taking it regularly can potentially reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes. Gotu Kola can also help ease various heart conditions.
- Improving Circulation ~ Gotu Kola naturally strengthens the walls of our capillaries and blood vessels which optimizes and boosts the body’s circulatory system. It also increases and stimulates blood flow, creating better oxygenation. It is a win-win for the whole body. It helps some of our most important organs: the brain, lungs, kidneys, and heart.
- Easing Stomach Issues ~ This traditional medicine has been used for a very long time to ease aches and pains within the gastrointestinal system. The anti-inflammatory properties ease Irritable Bowel Syndrome and the antioxidants of the leaves are really beneficial to the flora in our gut, stomach, and colon.
- Protecting Skin ~ Gotu Kola is a natural skin and beauty product. It reduces wrinkles, scars, and blemishes. No, this isn’t a commercial, but Gotu Kola can be found in some natural and organic skin and beauty care products for those very reasons. Once again, it’s the antioxidants that are responsible for this benefit.
I began taking Gotu Kola back when I was in college. I needed a boost and I wanted it to be a natural one. It really helped me out a lot! I noticed a difference within the first week of adding Gotu Kola to my diet. My head seemed much clearer. I seemed to be remembering more, sleeping better, and just overall having a better feeling of well-being.
You can drink Gotu Kola tea once or twice a day or take a supplement in the morning with your breakfast. It is a great and healthy start to your day in so many aspects. I can see why it is considered to be a cure-all, as well as a magical herb of longevity and long life. There are some really great medicines provided by Mother Nature and it’s all in her cabinet that spans across every inch of this planet. Happy Health!
Articles published by Basmati.com are no substitute for medical advice. Please consult your health care provider before beginning any new regimen. For more information, please visit our disclaimer page here.