Urdhva Mukha Svanasana / Upward Facing Dog
- Great pose if you have a stiff back or sciatica.
- Chest is expanded, enhances breathing.
- Helps strengthen the back of the body, legs, back, arms, and shoulders.
Foundation and General Alignment:
- Hands are shoulders distance apart, elbows are over the wrists, forearms perpendicular to the floor.
- Feet are hips distance apart. Toes are flat on the floor pointed away.
- Knees can be on the floor or lifted (more challenging).
- Arms are straight and vertical.
- Shoulder blades are flat on back ribs.
- Belly is toned and lifted.
- Butt is toned and lifted but not gripping.
- Most at risk is the wrist, shoulders, low back and neck.
- Hands cupping.
- Gripping butt.
- Thoracic spine hardened.
- Knees on floor, toes curled under.
- Hands on blocks to help open the chest.
- Bend elbows a little bit will help open chest.
Articles published by Basmati.com are no substitute for medical advice. Please consult your health care provider before beginning any new regimen. For more information, please visit our disclaimer page here.